Opportunities in logistics & warehousing
Logistics is an industry and a vital part of any business model; it is the control of the flow and storage of goods into and out of a business. Logistics management is responsible for satisfying customer demands. It is also important for creating visibility into a company's supply chain.
There are many job roles in logistics and warehousing ranging from sourcing, warehousing and delivery. These are integral roles within many industries, such as food production & distribution, retail and manufacturing, and ensure a smooth delivery of service and support to the client.
Values & attributes
Depending on the role, you don’t always need qualifications or previous work experience in the industry to get a job in logistics. What’s really important is having the right values, behaviours and attitudes to work effectively as part of a team and to follow defined procedures and policies to ensure safety and efficiency.
If you have previously worked in roles involving driving, manual handling or other manual operations then you are likely to be the right candidate for job vacancies in this sector.
Here are some examples of the values and behaviours you might need to work in logistics.
- Treat people with respect and dignity
- Be a good listener and communicator
- Be reliable
- Be able to follow instructions and procedures
- Be a team player
Types of potential roles
There’s a diverse range of roles within logistics and warehousing including:
- Production operative, supervisor, or manager
- Maintenance operative, supervisor, or manager
- Logistics administrator or manager
- Transport administrator or manager
- Transport manager
- Warehouse administrator or manager
- Inventory controller
- Purchasing & inventory clerk / manager
- Procurement specialist